Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Politics of God" 2.0


This morning, before going to work, I had a very interesting discussion with my parents. I shared to them how disliked Eddie Villanueva. And they were quick to tell me that I should not be careless with the words I exhale on my blogs. So here I am, writing a version 2.0 of yesterday's blog. And this time, I'd have basis with things that I'd write.

I was 10 years old when the 1998 Presidential Elections happened. I barely remember anything from that year. But I do remember that among the leading Presidentiables then were Jose de Venecia and Erap Estrada. We all know that the latter won. And we ousted him three years later. This morning I learned something new. Apparently, Villanueva was a part of the scene as well. He "prophesied" that JDV would win the elections. According to Villanueva, JDV was the God-mandated next President of the Philippines. He further adds that de Venecia "was ordained by the Divine providence to fulfill his vision for the Philippines as a great nation for God. The glorious prophetic vision of God for the Philippines is for it to become prosperous and we cannot turn traitor to God's calling and mandate." The same year, Erap Estrada was sworn into Presidency.

Fast forward six years later, the 2004 Presidential Elections happened. This time, Villanueva announced that he too will run as President, against political giants GMA, FPJ, Panfilo Lacson and Raul Roco. He was widely supported by the Christian community. Well-known celebrities like Connie Reyes, Donita Rose and Piolo Pascual endorsed him. Even my family campaigned and voted for him (I was not registered then). He said that God called him not just to run as President but to become the country's leader. Common knowledge would tell you that that he lost that war. In fact, out of the five, he placed last.

What happened after disappointed a lot of people. NationMaster, an online political encyclopedia, wrote: "When he lost the election, a lot of his followers were disappointed with him because it took him so long to concede victory to the elected incumbent President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, despite his having run so far behind. So many followers expected that his reaction would be totally different from the other politicians but to many he was seen to be singing the same melody with them." I don't think I need to expound what those words meant.

In an article entitled Villanueva supporters break away from BPM - written by Edu Punay, published May, 22, 2004 on The Philippine Star - BPM source said that they "don’t understand why he can’t concede when he’s not even in the close second or third spot of the race." But Villanueva coutnered with "I was well-advised by my close friends to concede... but I just can’t because this is my commitment to the truth." And my question for Villanueva is, what truth is he committed to?

In another article entitled Bro. Eddie's brethren say he should concede - published June 24, 2004 on The Philippine Star - was a clear indication of the loss of support for the religious leader. A group of pastors and bishops yesterday told religious leader Eddie Villanueva, who came in last in the presidential race, to stop mixing religion and politics, labeling his campaign tactics "a perversion." One of them, Reynaldo Carillo told Villanueva, "You did not hear the voice of God. You should accept the reality that you lost. If God really called you, God will support you."

Villanueva's prophesy of being "called" by God to be the leader of the country was toppled by landing fifth on the Presidential race.

Deuteronomy 18:21-22 says (and yes I am quoting the Bible)
21"You may say yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?" 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him."

On the basis of Villanueva prophesy for JDV and his own prophesied presidential bid in 2004, in contrast to the verse above...

FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment